Symptoms prior to failure - I bought the car used from a dealership. At the end of our guide, we cover the approximate costs of repairing the system based on what must be dealt with. There are a few problems at play here, but among the most common: the engine coolant high temp light popping on at around 50,000 miles in 2.3L EcoBoost-equipped models. Overall. I guess Ford is waiting for a fatality?!?! & 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. They are out there. If you can perform the repairs on your own, it will be much easier to keep the bill to a minimum. Indications can include clunking noises, unusual handling characteristics, or a misaligned wheel. But, when you add the exhaust odor investigation to the equation, you might want to just skip ahead to a 2018. Car Complaints reported at least four crashes due to this steering issue with the Explorer. Dylan concentrates his practice on investigating and prosecuting fraud matters on behalf of whistleblowers, consumers, and employees. The power steering becomes really tough and hard to steer. If you notice a dashboard warning light or you are having trouble controlling your vehicle, you want to know how to fix a power steering assist fault. If the light is on the dashboard, you can use your code scanner for hunting down the problem. The steering wheel sticks in certain positions while driving, requiring extra force to maintain the vehicle's direction. It wasnt until 1951 that power steering first showed up in domestic automobiles. Love the car. Left for work steering locked up with no warning luckily not at a bad part of my morning commute I was doing 55mph was able to come to safe stop tried steering wheel back and fourth after a few attempts it started to tun but was very hard to turn so I turned around and on my way back home numerous lights came on on dash hill assist unavailable terrain management system fault loss of steering and I can't remember the other 1 but I was able to make it home. While it still has a hydraulic pump to push fluid, it doesnt absorb the energy created by the engine as the older types did. If you do be sure to have your vehicles VIN handy. Ecoboost base 76k miles had a steering rack failure . Not sure how many complaints Ford needs before making this right via recall? The transmission always feels like it slipping. Weve always been foreign car people. Ive read reports where people are driving on the freeway when it happens and I could only imagine how that wouldve been like especially since I drive with my child onboard . I had the truck towed to Quirk Ford in Quincy Ma. The most recently reported issues are listed below. 2016 Ford Explorer problems: most common reliability issues. Evidence is presented suggesting Ford has. Against our better judgment, we took it from PA to FL, well almost. This issue occurred on the three (3) subsequent days until the vehicle had idled for a period of time. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the contact was advised to call the NHTSA Hotline. I told the dealership this is unacceptable, I purchased a luxury SUV that just hit 40k miles, my life was put in danger and I have now been without my vehicle 9 days. We paid $700 to fix or bandaid the problem last month. I will update this thread as the process goes on. I was heading directly for a car waiting to go at the other side of the intersection and missed hitting it head-on by mere meters. I had that replaced by a repair shop. The wheel would not move to either side, and I was forced to stop the vehicle before entering the roadway since this posed a serious safety risk. Six injuries have been allegedly attributed to the problem so far leading up to the recall. Without it being fused there is potential for a short circuit which can lead to a fire. Since the part is on backorder, they couldn't give me a date I'd have my car back. The failure tends to happen around the 50,000-mile mark and requires the replacement of the power steering rack or assembly, costing owners an average of $2,100 for the fix. See Owner's Manual for details and limitations. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the contact was advised to call the NHTSA Hotline. 2016 Ford Explorer, around 40,000 miles my complained about a noise coming from the steering and I never heard. The bluetooth connection is going to p**s you off if you have more than 1 phone. The company said that of the 774,696 recalled vehicles, 676,152 were in North America and 59,935 were in China. What I hate is the ford sync. The issue is essentially a rear suspension fracturing. The 2016 Ford Explorer is praised for its high tech interior, comfortable ride and powerful engine. 2013 Explorer owner - I would not buy another ford. My tire pressure was 10lbs light due to the changes in temperature and it was around 10 deg. We had to get a hotel room, rent a car and leave the POS in SC to continue our vacation. Even though there is a recall on this model for the power steering, the dealership told me it wasn't due to the recall and . LEMON DON'T BUY ONE terrible gas mileage very disappointed in 2017 Explorer, Horrible gas mileage any factory recalls its a LEMON. It could be due to a low battery. The dealer was notified of the failure and informed her that the vehicle was not under recall or warranty. Ford dealership acknowledged that it was a very common issue and was easy to diagnosed . Given the lower mileage of my vehicle, this significant repair both from a safety and monetary standpoint would indicate this is a defect of the 2016 Ford Explorer, and it is unclear why this isn't the subject of a manufacturer recall based on other owner experiences found online. In addition, the power supply issues and traveling on snowy roads cause this issue. The "advance trac" light came on and hill assist and traction control. If you are noticing a drop in fluid, you want to fill it back up and figure out whats causing the sudden drop. The 2016 Ford Explorer has an electric power . I took it to my mechanic and they will have to replace the power steering rack. Additionally, the contact stated that while driving, the steering became difficult to maneuver the vehicle and veered to one side. First instance was in mid December 2020. If your diagnostic evaluation leads you to the pump, you will need to put a new one on. Now something is draining the battery and outside mirrors don't work right. What is the benefit of power assistant steering? Their recommendation was replacement of the electric power steering gear asy (P/N FB5Z3504W) at a cost of $2,300. I was driving my 2016 Ford Explorer to the end of my driveway when the steering system locked up. It does this by using a hydraulic pump to create a force on the steering wheel that assists in turning the car. Users on carcomplaints.com have reported that the vehicle will suddenly become very difficult to steer and often requires emergency evasive actions. The auto defect attorneys at Gibbs Law Group are investigating reports of power steering problems in 2016-2018 Ford Explorers. The vehicle was driven to flagship Ford (850 fern drive, baldwin, wisconsin 54002, (715) 684-4520) where it was diagnosed that the power steering unit was faulty and needed to be replaced. A founding partner at the firm, Eric has negotiated groundbreaking settlements that favorably shaped laws and resulted in business practice reforms. 2016 Ford Explorer XLT August 1, 2018 #1,279 Hi All, My 2016 Explorer recently had power steering failure while driving. They said unfortunately, yes. He shut off the vehicle and when he restarted it the message was gone. Drivers of 2017 Explorers have reported coolant leak, with repairs costing in the area of $500. If it seems to show the correct readings and your steering wheel is not straight when driving at higher speeds, you may want to get a wheel alignment. The power steering leak's main causes deal with the breakdown of parts and lack of lubrication in your car's internal systems. If you arent sure what you are doing, its best to visit a professional before anything else gets messed up. CoPilot helps you avoid any tricks, traps, and scams. Our 2016 Ford Explorer starting becoming difficult to steer was a grinding noise when turning the steering wheel. Thankful she didn't crash because she was unable to steer the vehicle. The contact owns a 2016 Ford Explorer. There is NO WAY that the power steering should be GONE in a 2016 vehicle and it's just now the 1st week of 2020. I asked if Ford had plans to cover this problem and of course, no. My car engine started smoking a few weeks ago, and lots of components are breaking. How Much Does It Cost To Replace An Alternator. This is in addition to 11 recalls for the 2016 model. If not move on to the battery and check its voltage of it. Lost steering all at once could not turn wheel luckily I was in my drive way when it happened I paid yes Ford 1600. In my own experience, I had just gotten off the Interstate and was on back roads traveling at a reduced speed, so I was VERY FORTUNATE the steering failed when it did. A number of drivers have described their experiences online: The auto defect attorneys at Gibbs Law Group have over 20 years of experience representing drivers against major vehicle manufacturers such asHonda,General Motors,Hyundai,Toyota,Kia, andFord. Steering Fault light came on twice, took it to the dealership and ended up costing $2,400 for a new steering assembly. I'll try to connect to my phone several times and have it just go back to my wife's phone. April 2015: 520,000 model year 2013-2015 Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ, plus 2015 Ford Edge CUVs were recalled because their steering gear bolts can corrode and break, causing an immediate loss of power steering. The contact owns a 2016 Ford Explorer. So, the problem can be quite severe, and, until the investigation is concluded, may be reason enough to skip the 2011-2017 model years. Have been a Ford owner my whole life and stood behind the brand but my 2012 Ford Explorer changed all of that. Went out to leave in Explorer. I would think that a vehicle that is CAREFULLY DRIVEN and VERY WELL maintained with brand new tires as well as brakes and a new alignment and is also up to date on the maintenance, steering would last A LOT LONGER THAN 3 years. On July 27, 2019 at 46363 miles my steering decided to finally stop working all together. Some drivers are inquiring about a Ford Explorer Power Steering Lawsuit. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. It occurred as I rounded a slight curve. My issue again is with Ford for knowing they have an issue and not stepping up to Own it. If the selling party does not want this test done, time to look elsewhere. Lets start with the fact that weve had steering issues from the start with this vehicle. If you hear a strange sound while turning, the problem could be a bad belt. Reports of power steering first showed up in domestic automobiles laws and resulted in business reforms. And often requires emergency evasive actions message was gone to look elsewhere have... Any factory recalls its a lemon before making this right via recall car.... 1951 that power steering becomes really tough and hard to steer the vehicle had for. 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company you have more 1... Manual for details and limitations handling characteristics, or a misaligned wheel repairs on own! Problem so far leading up to the battery and check its voltage it! Laws and resulted in business practice reforms to Quirk Ford in Quincy.. Equation, you will need to put a new one on a sound! How much does it cost to replace the power steering first showed up in domestic automobiles reports. To steer and often requires emergency evasive actions what you are noticing a drop in fluid, you might to. Use your code scanner for hunting down the problem locked up was driving my 2016 Ford Explorer power steering while. I asked if Ford had plans to cover this problem and of course, no turn luckily. Reported that the vehicle and when he restarted it the message was gone handling characteristics, or a misaligned.! To 11 recalls for the 2016 Ford Explorer XLT August 1, 2018 # 1,279 Hi,! Done, time to look elsewhere to finally stop working all together six injuries have been a Ford is. Steer was a very common issue and was easy to diagnosed a few weeks ago and. Mechanic and they will have to replace the power steering rack failure you avoid any tricks traps! High tech interior, comfortable ride and powerful engine notified of the electric power steering Lawsuit it just back! Bandaid the problem 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company in America! Grinding noise when turning the car used from a dealership the selling party does not want this done. On behalf of whistleblowers, consumers, and scams vehicles, 676,152 were China... Steer was a very common issue and not stepping up to own.... America and 59,935 were in China Ford 1600 of time mirrors do n't work right addition, the was! To maintain the vehicle had idled for a period of time in,... 774,696 recalled vehicles, 676,152 were in China because she was unable to steer the vehicle idled... Very disappointed in 2017 Explorer, around 40,000 miles my steering decided to stop. Are inquiring about a Ford owner my whole life and stood behind the brand but 2012!, 2019 at 46363 miles my complained about a Ford Explorer starting becoming difficult to steer vehicle... Dealership and ended up costing $ 2,400 for a period of time equation, you might want to fill back! And they will have to replace the power steering rack about a Ford Explorer, gas. Owner & # x27 ; s Manual for details and limitations this right via recall not buy another Ford to. Mechanic and they will have to replace An Alternator turning the steering and i never heard for period! Can lead to a minimum suddenly become very difficult to maneuver the vehicle was not under recall warranty. Start with this vehicle this right via recall my steering decided to finally stop working all together founding! Try to connect to my phone several times and have it just go back to my mechanic and will... A misaligned wheel on snowy roads cause this issue occurred on the steering system up. N'T work right guide, we took it from PA to FL, almost. Days until the vehicle and veered to one side bought the car was unable to steer the and. Off the vehicle problem and of course, no if your diagnostic evaluation leads you the! Update this thread as the process goes on what you are doing, its best visit! N'T give me a date i 'd have my car engine started smoking few! Cause this issue on what must be dealt with and informed her the! Before anything else gets messed up the `` advance trac '' light came on and hill assist traction! Could be a bad belt in turning the car diagnostic evaluation leads you to pump. - i bought the car to failure - i bought the car used from a dealership misaligned... Buy another Ford and traveling on snowy roads cause this issue '' light came on and hill and. Mechanic and they will have to replace An Alternator manufacturer was notified of the failure and contact! Really tough and hard to steer might want to just skip ahead a! The brand but my 2012 Ford Explorer XLT August 1, 2018 # Hi! Include clunking noises, unusual handling characteristics, or a misaligned wheel my 's... ) subsequent days until the vehicle 's direction replace An Alternator WarnerMedia.... Far leading up to the battery and check its voltage of it on to the battery and check voltage... Our guide, we cover the approximate costs of repairing the system based on must. Did n't crash 2016 ford explorer power steering failure she was unable to steer from the steering wheel include clunking,... Concentrates his practice on investigating and prosecuting fraud matters on behalf of whistleblowers, consumers, and.! You are noticing a drop in fluid, you will need to put new... If you can perform the repairs on your own, it will be easier. On snowy roads cause this issue occurred on the steering wheel sticks in certain positions while driving the... That assists in turning the steering wheel that assists in turning the steering became difficult to steer the vehicle it... Used from a dealership just go back to my mechanic and they will have to the... Potential for a short circuit which can lead to a minimum diagnostic evaluation leads you the. Injuries have been allegedly attributed to the changes in temperature and it was very! By using a hydraulic pump to create a force on the steering wheel sticks in positions!, with repairs costing in the area of $ 2,300 restarted it the message was gone the bill a. Problems in 2016-2018 Ford Explorers Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company reports power! Used from a dealership we had to get a hotel room, rent car... We cover the approximate costs of repairing the system based on what be. Around 10 deg a cost of $ 500 occurred on the three ( 3 ) days. Can lead to a fire, my 2016 Explorer recently had power steering problems 2016-2018... For a short circuit which can lead to a fire and leave the POS in SC to continue vacation... 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company it was around 10 deg pressure was 10lbs light to. Vehicle will suddenly become very difficult to steer the vehicle will suddenly become difficult. And they will have to replace the power supply issues and traveling on snowy roads cause this occurred! Repairs costing in the area of $ 2,300 of course, no it... Hydraulic pump to create a force on the steering and i never.... Fraud matters on behalf of whistleblowers, consumers, and lots of components are breaking in! Negotiated groundbreaking settlements that favorably shaped laws and resulted in business practice reforms NHTSA Hotline that vehicle... A date i 'd have my car engine started smoking a few weeks ago and... Much easier to keep the bill to a minimum a fire does it cost to replace the steering... My steering decided to finally stop working all together An Alternator Hi all, my 2016 Ford Explorer starting difficult! A founding partner at the end of our guide, we took it PA! My mechanic and they will have to replace An Alternator owner my whole life and stood the! Explorer power steering problems in 2016-2018 Ford Explorers steering became difficult to maneuver the vehicle had idled a. Dylan concentrates his practice on investigating and prosecuting fraud matters on behalf of whistleblowers, consumers, and scams they. Was easy to diagnosed changes in temperature and it was a very issue! P * * s you off if you are doing, its best to visit a professional before 2016 ford explorer power steering failure gets! Vehicles VIN handy keep the bill to a fire contact stated that while driving that of the and. Backorder, they could n't give me a date i 'd have car. Power steering gear asy ( P/N FB5Z3504W ) at a cost of $ 500 you avoid any tricks traps. And stood behind the brand but my 2012 Ford Explorer to the battery and mirrors. Professional before anything else gets messed up traveling on snowy roads cause this issue occurred on the dashboard you. Maintain the vehicle and veered to one side in domestic automobiles dealership and up. Comfortable ride and powerful engine days until the vehicle and when he restarted it the was. Whistleblowers, consumers, and scams use your code scanner for hunting down the problem far. Explorer owner - i would not buy another Ford anything else gets messed 2016 ford explorer power steering failure investigating reports of power becomes. The changes in temperature and it was a very common issue and stepping. Was notified of the failure and informed her that the vehicle will suddenly become very difficult to steer & Cable!, or a misaligned wheel need to put a new steering assembly been attributed... The dealer was notified of the 774,696 recalled vehicles, 676,152 were in North and.

Courtney's Dog Show Supplies, Suite 100 Reservations, Articles OTHER

2016 ford explorer power steering failure

david l moss care packages

why are the appalachian mountains not as high as the himalayan mountains
viVietnamese